I teach (present) a workshop called Romancing the Bedroom once a quarter to put a gentler touch on decluttering and organizing the bedroom. It’s hard to get romantic or create a sanctuary in the bedroom when it is covered in laundry or the overflow of items that you wouldn’t want guests to see.
Today is Valentine’s Day so here are some inspirational tips for the bedroom:
1. Appeal to all five senses when creating your space. The touch of high count cotton sheets, the glow of candle light, the scent of flowers or essential oils, the sound of gentle jazz, sensual or relaxing music and the taste, well I will leave that up to your imagination.
2. Make your bed every morning. It gets your day off to a wonderful start and it looks inviting at the end of the day. It takes less than 2 minutes and defines the space as being “important”. Unmade beds = Unromantic.
3. Keep flat surfaces such as your night stand clear except for needs such a clock, light (at shoulder height for reading), and a photo or flowers.
4. Bright lights be gone. A soothing room that helps you fall asleep faster should be dark or at the very least use soft lighting. Buy dimmer switches that allow you to control light in your room and turn it off when it’s time to sleep. Minimize lighting coming from the outside. Add blackout liners on draperies to prevent light from disrupting your sleep, something all 5-star hotels practice.
5. Don’t do chores in your bedroom. No ironing, No piles, No folding clothes, NO PROJECTS.
6. Go to bed together. Decide on a time, and stick to it. No matter what. Pillow talk, or other romantic things, aren’t going to happen if you don’t go to bed together. Try to do this at least a couple of times a week.
For those of you who need a little bit more storage room in the bedroom to reduce the clutter:
Whether you are part of a couple or just yourself (the MOST important person,) create a bedroom that will inspire your dreams.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Leave a comment and let me know if you have any favourite tips to help keep the bedroom romantic.