Originally published one year ago.
Here are 10 quick tips to help you prepare for the upcoming school year. You may already do most of these things, or you may have some suggestions of your own!
Regardless of whether your children are going to Kindergarten, or in my case, their first year of university, these are just some simple suggestions to make that transition a smooth one.
- Make medical, dental or eye appointments in the coming month.
- Ensure all vaccinations are up to date.
- Stock up on school supplies and replace shabby or broken backpacks and lunch kits.
- Sort through clothing and shoes, determine what needs to be replaced, donated or handed down to other families.
- Prepare your calendar for the months ahead. Some dates to note are September 4th – first day of school – and October 5th, a PD day, making it an extra long weekend (Thanksgiving).
- Create a space where children can concentrate on their homework. Keep it well supplied with things such as pens, pencils, erasers, sharpeners, rulers, etc.
- If college or university is in your child’s future, check their websites for suggestion of needed items when staying in the dorm.
- This is a good time to stock up on your medicinal and first aid items. Some items to make sure you have on hand might be Band-Aids, antibiotic creams, children’s Tylenol/Advil, and cough and cold medicine.
- Start stocking up on healthy lunch and snack items, as well as items such as batteries.
- Give your children time to adjust to a new sleep routine – start at least a week ahead of the first day of school.